Bravo to the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) for conducting his investigation and pressing second degree murder charges on Const. James Forcillo. No one is above the law!
We hope all the facts will be uncovered and that justice will be served in the court of law, whether it it be a trial by judge or jury.
Full details of the SIU announcement is available online at http://www.siu.on.ca/en/news_template.php?nrid=1749 and http://www.siu.on.ca/en/index.php
It was approximately one week ago on Tuesday, August 13th, 2013 that the Urban Alliance on Race Relations, The Ontario Federation of Labour and families of several victims of lethal force by police hosted a press conference, which was followed by a rally to push for greater public oversight of policing, police accountability, better training and implementation of recommendations from inquests, investigations, and the Saving Lives: Alternatives to the Use of Lethal Force by Police report among many others.
The Urban Alliance on Race Relations also published an opinions commentary seeking to Make Public Oversight of Police Training a Priority
- Toronto Cop Committed to Trial on Second Degree Murder in Sammy Yatim Death
- Retired Supreme Court of Canada Justice Frank Iacobucci to lead internal review
- Retired Supreme Court of Canada Justice Frank Iacobucci named by Chief William Blair to lead internal review
- Saving Lives: Alternatives to the Use of Lethal Force by Police
- UARR Calls for Better Police Training, Oversight and Monitoring
- Sammy Yatim: Families of cop shooting victims to protest at Toronto police board meeting
- Police shooting victims’ families to hold Toronto rally today
- Families of police shooting victims to rally in Toronto Tuesday
- Toronto rally to demand action on police shootings
- Ombudsman calls look at de-escalation techniques a ‘win-win’
- Make Public Oversight of Police Training a Priority
- Inquest into three police shootings set for October 15, 2013 All three deaths to be examined involved people thought to be mentally ill