Sutton District High School Racial Incident – York Region District School Board
May 9, 2014
Statement on behalf of the Board of the Directors of the Urban Alliance on Race Relations
Re: Racially Motivated Incident at Sutton District High School in the York Region District School Board
The Urban Alliance on Race Relations is concerned about this highly disturbing incident of racism in education at the Sutton District High School in the York Region District School Board in which a black student was racially attacked, physically assaulted and had racial slurs directed at him on school/board property.
The Urban Alliance on Race Relations was established in 1975 with the mission to work through research, public education and civic engagement towards establishing and enhancing respectful, peaceful and harmonious relationships among all communities in Toronto and beyond.
Members of our Board of Directors have reviewed the video of the assault and racial name calling with total disgust and we urge meaningful action by the York Region District School Board and the school.
We believe that it is incidents such as this that highlight the need for urgent action to ensure that all within the education community respect the Ontario Human Rights Code especially with regards to the right to freedom from discrimination based on protected grounds in the Code such as Race, Colour, Nationality and Place of Origin.
Focused and lasting efforts must be made to end racism and elements of structural violence against racialized students in the Sutton District High School. This includes ensuring that the school climate, curriculum, code of conduct and diversity of resources are reflective and respectful of the diversities of all Canadians.
The Urban Alliance on Race Relations is very concerned about the manifestations of racial intolerance and racial violence that was evident in the video and hope that the justice system which the 4 students charged will appear before, will demonstrate Canada’s commitment to the rule of law and fundamental human rights of the student who was racially assaulted.
– 30 –
UARR Social Media (Like Us, Follow Us, Retweet Our Posts, Reblog from our website, Share our Posts)
Facebook: Urban Alliance on Race Relations
- Student Discipline Under the Code and Equity Strategy
- Embedding Culturally Relevant Practices in Schools
- Teaching human rights in Ontario schools
- Stereotyping and its consequence for racial minority youth
- Ontario’s Equity and Inclusive Education Strategy Quick Facts
- Ontario’s Equity and Inclusive Education Strategy
- Equity and Inclusive Education in Ontario Schools: Guidelines for Policy Development
- Culturally Responsive Pedagogy
- Responding to Bullying
- School Climate Surveys
- Promoting a Positive School Climate | Evaluation Plan
- Registry of Resources for Safe and Inclusive Schools
- PPM 144 – Bullying Prevention and Intervention
- PPM 145 – Progressive Discipline and Promoting Positive Student Behaviour
- Creating a Welcoming Environment
- Supporting Minds: An Educator’s Guide to Promoting Students’ Mental Health and Well-being
Sutton DHS – Anti-Black Racism – News Reports/Commentary
- Fight this ugly bigotry
- Students Hurl Racial Slurs as Teen Beaten at Sutton High School | More News
- Parent Speaks Out –
on racial incident Sutton high school | More News
- Family angered by racist attack on teenage son
- “Pound the n—–“: Does Georgina have a Racial Problem?
- York Region Student Beaten in Schoolyard Fight was Bullied Parents Say
- Students Hurl Racial Slurs as Teen Beaten at York Region High School | More News
- 4 Georgina high school students accused of assaulting black student | More News
- Students hurl racial slurs as black teen beaten at Ontario’s Sutton high school | More News
- Teens charged after racial slurs hurled at black student beaten outside Ontario school
- York Region Student beaten, subjected to racial slurs at Sutton District High School
- Black student berated with racial slurs during schoolyard fight
- Racist Beating is Shocking
- 4 Georgina high school students charged with assault after racist attack at York Region School
- York Region High School in Flap Over Confederate Flag
More Media Coverage
- Georgina faces some ugly truths
- Black belt teen strikes back at bully, and rallies community against racism
- Dad says son ‘not racist bully’ (2009) Asian student, who has a third degree black belt in martial arts, strikes back after being hit, taunted and finds himself charged with assault
- Small Town Turmoil
- Racist Graffiti to be Cleaned Up
- Vaughan African Canadian Association
- Urban Alliance on Race Relations
- Zimbabwe Canadian Support Group
— Urban Alliance (@UARRToronto) May 8, 2014
— Kim Taylor-Galway (@CBCKimTaylorG) May 7, 2014
— CTV Toronto (@CTVToronto) May 7, 2014